[ltp] Ati driver's install - "direct rendering: No" - Now radeon driver

Thu, 8 Jun 2006 00:14:11 -0400

On 6/7/06, Nate <nrs27@cornell.edu> wrote:
> [...]
> better, since we likely have similar hardware.
>
> This post has a few parts. If you can help with any of them, please do.
>
> 1. I ask that anyone with a valid xorg.conf for dual head using the
> ati/radeon open source driver on a T4* laptop with DRI working, to post
> or send to me their xorg.conf and Xorg.0.log. Even better if you're
> running FC5 and Xorg6.9 or 7.0. To know if DRI is working, do 'glxinfo |
> grep rendering' and see if it says "direct rendering: Yes".
>
> 2. I ask for help on my 3 levels of success using the radeon driver for
> dual head. I'm going to link to all 3 sets of xorg.conf and Xorg.0.log
> files on a webserver, and explain them below.
>
> 3. Even with DRI working, the performance of X is not great (In fact I
> cannot tell the difference between DRI working and not, except glxgears
> fps improves by nearly 10 times). For example, when changing tabs by
> clicking their names in firefox, I can tell you that first it draws the
> website, then switches the tab, then changes address bar. Also, when
> bringing an app on front of firefox (or vice versa), first the window
> manager draws the window, then the client application fills up the
> window. Lastly, when moving windows around they tend to smear or leave
> copies of themselves as trails. Even if I never get DRI working
> properly, I would like to fix desktop/window manager performance,
> because this is underlying reason I am doing all of this.
>
> As an aside, I found a bug report with the fglrx driver for the R2**
> series ati cards. Ati's update, just around the time that I was trying
> the driver's, broke something for a lot of people. Now instead, I am
> trying to setup the open-source radeon driver for dual head with DRI.
>
> I've had 3 different successes. First, I let system-config-display
> generate an xorg.conf. DRI support did not work with dual head, and
> suggested I used option MergedFB. Everything looks fine, but DRI does
> not work and desktop performance is slow.
>
> http://volvosmith.net/data/Xserverconfig/xorg.conf.bak200606071519-dual_nodri
> http://volvosmith.net/data/Xserverconfig/Xorg.0.log.bak200606071519-dual_nodri
> http://volvosmith.net/data/Xserverconfig/glxinfo.bak200606071519-dual_nodri
> http://volvosmith.net/data/Xserverconfig/lsmod.bak200606071519-dual_nodri
> http://volvosmith.net/data/Xserverconfig/lspci.bak200606071519-dual_nodri
>
> I had 2 partial successes using MergedFB.
>
> I setup MergedFB manually for lcd at 1400x1050 and crt at 1024x768. The
> Xorg log says:
> (EE) RADEON(0): Static buffer allocation failed.  Disabling DRI.
> (EE) RADEON(0): At least 33075 kB of video memory needed at this
> resolution and depth.
> My video card has 32mB, so perhaps it is simply impossible.
> Additionally, my crt screen is too small and pans around even though I
> think Option "MergedNonRectangular" is supposed to take care of this, I
> think. Also, desktop performance is slow.

I'm not sure why your desktop performance would be slow, everything
seems to be set up properly.  the reason your desktop pans around is
because your first meta-mode is 1400x1050-1024x768 not
1400x1050-1280x1024.  you'll need to use xrandr to switch the modes or
re-order you metamodes.  Also, if you want to use the DRI switch your
depth to 16.  Currently the DRI requires enough vram for static front,
back, and depth buffers.  For a 2680x1050 at depth 24 desktop, that's
approximately 2680 * 1050 * 4 bytes/pixel * 3. Depth 16 is only 2
bytes/pixel.

Alex