[ltp] Recovering sound after Xorg 7 & Kernel 2.6?

Rob Hess linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 8 Jun 2006 00:58:02 -0700

On 6/7/06, mmalten@comcast.net <mmalten@comcast.net> wrote:

> After upgrading my Debian testing R32 to Xorg 7, I had some headaches that
> I attempted to resolve via upgrading the kernel to 2.6.15 from 2.4.27.
>
> It's not quite back up to speed, but what I need at this stage is to get
> the sound back.
>
> I've tried recompiling alsa using module-assistant, alsaconf, alsamixer,
> etc.  Progress has been that the KDE startup no longer complains "can't
> find sound server"  I still _hear_ nothing.
>
> Any advice on how to reclaim sound?

I once had a problem similar to this.  It turned out that there was
just a mixer setting, something like enable external amplification,
that I had to turn off.  Try checking the settings in your mixer.

-Rob