[OT] Re: [ltp] Ubuntu Dapper on a22p - 1 data pt.

Thu, 8 Jun 2006 15:57:20 -0300

On Thu, 08 Jun 2006, Paul Michael Reilly wrote:
> 1) Tell me where the package is that contains sshd?

If it is installed, use either dlocate (package dlocate) for ultra-fast
pre-indexed searches, or dpkg -S for non-indexed searches.

If it is not installed, Debian keeps a big database that apt-file (package
apt-file) can search.  Last time I checked, it was not always 100%
up-to-date (it is too big to refresh daily), but it was rebuilt every week,
so it was never outdated for more than 7 days.

> 2) Given a list of "features" missing from running the configure script
> for Emacs, for example no X11 headers, no Xaw support, etc, how would
> you have obtained the requisite packages using apt?

This is actually extremely easy if you are talking about a Debian source
package (apt-get build-dep) -- the Debian maintainer will have done that
work already.  But if you are not, auto-apt (package auto-apt) can figure
out which files you need, and which packages have them.  I never used that
tool for real, though.  I'd rather read the docs and figure out exactly what
I need, and why when packaging...

> If either problem occurred on Fedora, yum search provides the
> requisite packages more than adequately.  I will probably play with

Until you hit any of the yum/RPM design problems (apt/dpkg also have their
share of those).  No tool is perfect.

  Henrique Holschuh