[ltp] New hard disk for X31?

Michael linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 09 Jun 2006 08:52:37 +0200

Hi,

I?m looking to replace my 40 GB Hitachi/IBM hard disk in my Thinkpad X31
with a bigger one.

However, it is extremely difficult to make sure in advance that the new disk
won't be much louder than the old one.

My Thinkpad X31 normally runs very quiet, the fan is nearly always off. The
internal hard disk is inaudible (one needs to put the ear to the casing in
order to hear it).

I already bought a new one, a Toshiba 100 GB, MK1032GAX, as this one was
said to be very quiet, too. However, this is not the case. At least you can
always hear the spinning noise and the thinkpad casing vibrates the whole
time. It's extremely annoying. So this was not the right purchase. :(

Does anybody have experience with a hard disk that is as quiet as the old 40
GB, but comes with 80 to 120 GB?

Thanks,

Michael