[ltp] Re: Firegl T2, fglrx, xorg and glx: no XVideo

Matt Graham linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 9 Jun 2006 09:27:49 -0400

On Friday 09 June 2006 08:51, after a long battle with technology, Fionn
Behrens wrote:
> On Fr, 2006-06-09 at 09:16 +0200, Axel Braun wrote:
> > Fionn Behrens wrote:
> > > I upgraded fglrx for the third time or so and [XV] still
> > > does not work:
> > So you are using an ATI-card?
> A Firegl T2, as the subject of my posting indicated.

AFAICT, all T42p machines have something like this:

clairissa:/opt/ati/bin$ lspci | grep VGA
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc M10 NT [FireGL
Mobility T2] (rev 80)

...the other numbers may or may not have something to do with the
problem you're having.  clairissa is my T42p, I generated the xorg.conf
with aticonfig, and I've never had a problem with XV.

> fglrx 8.25.18, xorg 6.8.2 and debian.

fglrx 8.21.7 , Xorg 6.8.2, Gentoo, and XV's always worked.  FWIW, even
the evil binary-only nVidia modules have had problems at points--the
6629 version of that just plain didn't work at all for me, while 6111
and 8178 worked really well.  ATi's evil binary-only modules are ...
less polished than nVidia's, usually.

> > Have you tried to start from scratch with a X11-config?
> Thats what I did when I switched to flgrx.
> But AFAIR XV didnt work at any time since the switch.
> Does it work for you? If yes, with which setup?

Right, what you may want to do is to post your xorg.conf to your
webspace and follow up to the list with a URL.  Or if you want, I'll
send my xorg.conf to your personal address (not to the list!) and you
can diff that with yours and see if there's anything totally weird
going on.

--
   Yesterday upon the stair, I met a man who wasn't there.
   He wasn't there again today -- I think he's from the CIA.