[ltp] Re: New hard disk for X31?

Michael linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 09 Jun 2006 20:46:47 +0200

Ben Pfaff wrote:
> Have you tried changing the drive's acoustic management to the
> quietest possible setting.  (See the -M option on hdparm.)

Unfortunately not supported on this drive...

At least hdparm -M 128 /dev/hda gives:
/dev/hda:
 setting acoustic management to 128
 HDIO_DRIVE_CMD:ACOUSTIC failed: Input/output error
 acoustic     =  0 (128=quiet ... 254=fast)

According to a google search this means "not supported".

No I'm definitely getting a new one. This one's really awfully loud and the
whole thinkpad vibrates...

My dealer will take the hd back (with some sacrifice for myself of appr.
20-30%). So any positive experiences are welcome with new hds.

Michael