[ltp] X22 GL perfomance? [I spoke to soon - crashes ACPI!]

Sat, 10 Jun 2006 04:15:08 +0100

Dear All,

This is really weird. Having fixed the GL issues, I now discovered that
suspend fails. Previously, the machine was very reliable:

  chvt 1; echo 3 > /proc/acpi/sleep

and it would wake up every time.

Now, I found that it suspends fine (and the crescent light comes on),
but it fails to resume: the HDD powers up, the crescent doesn't go out,
thereafter, it is totally dead.

I spent several hours tracing this, but here is the most revealing test
series:

TEST 1)

Boot up with "linux single". Very few modules are loaded.
echo 3 > /proc/acpi/sleep.
It sleeps (and resumes) happily, and repeatedly.

TEST 2)

Restart, to avoid bias. Again, boot up with "linux single".
modprobe drm; modprobe radeon
echo 3 > /proc/acpi/sleep.
It sleeps (and resumes) happily, and repeatedly.

TEST 3)

linux single
modprobe drm; modprobe radeon
startx
STOP x
[drm and radeon modules are automatically removed when X shuts down]
echo 3 > /proc/acpi/sleep
Result: it suspends fine, but will not wake up!
Pressing Fn-F4 spins up the HDD and CPU fan, but nothing else.

TEST 4)

Running X, but without the "Load dri" line is fine.

Test 5)

Running X, with "load dri", AND with Mesa installed is fine.

I repeated this with both kernel 2.6.16 and 2.6.12. The results are
identical (except that 2.6.16 needs to use echo mem > /sys/power/state
instead of echo 3 > /proc/acpi/sleep)

My conclusion is that something in Xorg does something to the graphics
card which interferes with resume.

Any ideas?

Thanks very much!

Richard