[ltp] New hard disk for X31?

Charles E "Rick" Taylor IV linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 09 Jun 2006 16:14:01 -0400

On Fri, 2006-06-09 at 08:52 +0200, Michael wrote:

> I?m looking to replace my 40 GB Hitachi/IBM hard disk in my Thinkpad X31
> with a bigger one.

> However, it is extremely difficult to make sure in advance that the new disk
> won't be much louder than the old one.

I use a Seagate Momentus 120 GB (5400 RPM,Model=ST9120821A in hdparm) in
my X31.  It's quieter (and LOTS faster) than the original drive of my
X31 - which I never thought was that quiet to begin with.

I was more concerned with capacity than noise, though.

> My Thinkpad X31 normally runs very quiet, the fan is nearly always off. The
> internal hard disk is inaudible (one needs to put the ear to the casing in
> order to hear it)

I don't notice any more fan activity with the Seagate than with the old
IBM drive - it still stays off unless the processor runs full speed for
a while (editing and re-encoding video, for instance).  But the original
IBM drive was certainly *not* inaudible in my X31.

> I already bought a new one, a Toshiba 100 GB, MK1032GAX, as this one was
> said to be very quiet, too. However, this is not the case. At least you can
> always hear the spinning noise and the thinkpad casing vibrates the whole
> time. It's extremely annoying. So this was not the right purchase. :

I don't notice much in the way of case vibration with the Seagate, but I
*can* hear it.  Doesn't bother me, though, since most of the time it's
well under the level of the background noise in my office.

*  Charles E. "Rick" Taylor, IV <rick@rickandpatty.com>
*  Web: http://www.rickandpatty.com
* Blog: http://shrimpandgrits.rickandpatty.com