[ltp] /dev/input/mouseX for trackpoint in kernel 2.6.16?

Mon, 12 Jun 2006 13:09:22 +0100

>>While attempting to diagnose various other kernel issues, I've compiled
>>the latest 2.6.16.20 kernel. This seems to work well - but the mouse
>>device for the trackpoint have disappeared.
>>
>>I used to have:
>>
>> /dev/input/mice       (the kernel's "hybrid")
>> /dev/input/ts0        (no idea what this is, but you can't use it
>>                        as a mouse)
>> /dev/input/mouse0      (the trackpoint)
>> /dev/input/mouse1      (external usb mouse)
>> /dev/input/trackpoint  (a symlink to mouseX created by my udev rule)
>>
>>Now, the /dev/input/mouseX device which corresponds to the trackpoint
>>has disappeared.  I can still get data from it via /dev/input/mice, but
>>any customisation (in xorg) is now impossible.
>>

> Could this be an udev update which changed some rules?
> I am running 2.6.15.6 and I have only /dev/input/mice. Anyway, why
> don't you create a /dev/input/trackpoint using udev?
>
> udevinfo -a -p /sys/devices/platform/i8042/serio0/

Thanks Daniel. I didn't update udev, but did update the kernel. Your
method does work - thanks.  Also, using /dev/psaux works.

What puzzles me though is why /dev/input/mouse0 isn't created any more!
I used to have this rule:

BUS=="serio", kernel=="mouse*", SYSFS{description}=="i8042 Aux Port",
NAME="input/%k", SYMLINK="input/trackpoint"

Regards,

Richard