[ltp] Re: New hard disk for X31?

Michael linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 12 Jun 2006 14:22:11 +0200

Charles E "Rick" Taylor IV wrote:

> I don't notice any more fan activity with the Seagate than with the old
> IBM drive - it still stays off unless the processor runs full speed for
> a while (editing and re-encoding video, for instance).  But the original
> IBM drive was certainly *not* inaudible in my X31.

What was your original drive? Mine was an IBM/Hitachi 40 GB. The spin noise
of it is really inaudible except from a very very close distance. The
access sounds are much louder, but they don?t disturb me very much.

> I don't notice much in the way of case vibration with the Seagate, but I
> *can* hear it.  Doesn't bother me, though, since most of the time it's
> well under the level of the background noise in my office.

What about, when you are out of your noisy (?) office? How loud do you feel
is your new drive when the environment is absolutely quiet? Is the spinning
sound high level frequency or rather low frequency? Do you hear it from 1 m
distance, from 10m distance?

Thanks for the info. The seagate looks promising. I found some reports on it
in the internet.

Michael