[ltp] Re: New hard disk for X31?

Charles E "Rick" Taylor IV linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 12 Jun 2006 11:47:11 -0400

On Mon, 2006-06-12 at 14:22 +0200, Michael wrote:
> Charles E "Rick" Taylor IV wrote:

> > I don't notice any more fan activity with the Seagate than with the old
> > IBM drive - it still stays off unless the processor runs full speed for
> > a while (editing and re-encoding video, for instance).  But the original
> > IBM drive was certainly *not* inaudible in my X31.

> What was your original drive? Mine was an IBM/Hitachi 40 GB. The spin noise
> of it is really inaudible except from a very very close distance. The
> access sounds are much louder, but they don?t disturb me very much.

The original drive in my X31 was an IBM/Hitachi 40GB model as well
(might there be some variation in the models/noisiness of the drives IBM
supplied?), and I'm talking about noise while sitting with the laptop 1m
or less away.  From across the room, I doubt I could hear either one of
the drives.  Drive access with the Seagate is noticeably quieter than
with the old IBM drive - which lives now in my "test" machine, an X22.
While holding the laptop in my hands, I can't feel the Seagate move at
all, and neither the old nor the new drive cause the laptop to vibrate
when it's sitting on a surface.

Again, though, I bought the Seagate drive more for capacity than
anything else.

Maybe I should get out my Radio Shack sound meter and test out the
drives. :)

*  Charles E. "Rick" Taylor, IV <rck@rickandpatty.com>
*  Web: http://www.rickandpatty.com
* Blog: http://shrimpandgrits.rickandpatty.com