[ltp] Ati x1400 -set--powerstate X corruption

WSR linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 12 Jun 2006 11:59:57 -0700

Hello,

This is my first post to this list, so hello!  I am a new owner of a =20
T60, and this list looks like it is a great resource.

I have tried both SuSE 10.1 and Ubuntu Dapper on my new notebook, and =20
it seems like I am sticking with SuSE for the meantime due to =20
powersaved, which seems like it works pretty well.  The ATI =20
installation seems better and more thorough on SuSE.

A problem I am having with both installations is the ATI Powerplay =20
settings.  Some of the time, if I run aticonfig --set-powerstate=3D1 (to =20
lower the power consumtion, and save some battery life) it works =20
great.  I can get an extra hour of use with the low settings.

About half or more of the time when I run this command (OR when it =20
gets executed by acpi scripts OR powersaved) the screen goes white and =20
black and green and red all over, its completely corrupted and =20
distorted.  Nothing I can do will bring it back at this point, and =20
although the caps lock key is still working it seems X isn't =20
completely hung, after about another 10-12 seconds X is completely =20
hung and the only thing I can do is hard shutdown.

Dapper and Suse do not share the same Xorg version, so I think it is =20
either a hardware, or ati driver issue.

I have looked around as best as I can and can not seem to find anyone =20
else with this problem.

Thanks to anyone that has any advice on this matter~

-Scott Rushforth
wsr@rushforthnetworks.com