[ltp] T22 halt including powering off - ACPI or APM

FeRD linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 12 Jun 2006 22:06:15 -0400

--------------080407000008050806030307

I had my T22 working perfectly with ACPI using Fedora Core 4 until the
last few kernels before FC5 (and the problems continued into FC5.) I've
never figured out what's gone wrong, and the older kernels that "used to
work" are just too old to consider going back to.

Seems like under 2.6.15 and 2.6.16, tho, everything related to PM and
ACPI has gone to hell in a bitbucket. Even tpb(1) stopped working, I no
longer get onscreen display of the volume changes or
ThinkLight/brightness events. The volume buttons and Fn-PgUp/Home/End
still function, but tpb(1) resolutely refuses to admit that any activity
is coming out of /dev/nvram.

I'm stymied, personally. Sucks because at one point I was even using
cubbi's kernels to do suspend2 suspend-to-disk, now that stuff's crapped
out on me too.

The OSD and Fn-key combos still work booted into Win2000 so I know my
hardware didn't spontaneously get tired, nor did I let the blue smoke
out or anything bad like that.

-FeRD

Daniel Maier wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 02, 2006 at 05:18:55PM +0200, Matthias Keller wrote:
>
>> John Shane wrote:

>> Maybe that's related; powering off under my suse 10.1 with the T22 also
>> doesn't work sometimes...
>> It does all the stuff and says it will be powered down NOW.
>>

> You both seem to experience the same problem with ACPI on the T22 as
> I did. The ACPI events stop working and if this happens, also
> powerdown does not work any more.
>
> Stop any process which might read /proc/acpi and try if this occurs
> again. ACPI events can be followed with /usr/bin/acpi_listen.
>
> Regards, nusse.

--------------080407000008050806030307

<head>
</head>
perfectly with ACPI using Fedora Core 4 until the last few kernels
before FC5 (and the problems continued into FC5.) I've never figured
out what's gone wrong, and the older kernels that "used to work" are
just too old to consider going back to.<br>
Seems like under 2.6.15 and 2.6.16, tho, everything related to PM and
ACPI has gone to hell in a bitbucket. Even tpb(1) stopped working, I no
longer get onscreen display of the volume changes or
ThinkLight/brightness events. The volume buttons and Fn-PgUp/Home/End
still function, but tpb(1) resolutely refuses to admit that any
activity is coming out of /dev/nvram.<br>
I'm stymied, personally. Sucks because at one point I was even using
cubbi's kernels to do suspend2 suspend-to-disk, now that stuff's
crapped out on me too.<br>
The OSD and Fn-key combos still work booted into Win2000 so I know my
hardware didn't spontaneously get tired, nor did I let the blue smoke
out or anything bad like that.<br>
-FeRD<br>
Daniel Maier wrote:
 type="cite">
      <pre wrap="">On Fri, 2 Jun 2006 13:30:08 +0100
        <pre wrap="">I'm running ArchLinux on a T22 and would like to know if anyone else has
experienced intermittent problems with halting the system and powering off.
        </pre>
    <pre wrap="">Maybe that's related; powering off under my suse 10.1 with the T22 also