[ltp] [OT]: New HDD on IBM R51

Laurent Gilson linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 13 Jun 2006 17:26:24 +0200

Hello

> I was looking at the original IBM upgrading part (IBM 09N4273 ) but
> found prices to be horribly high here in Europe (Italy, Germany).

true, true.

> I never removed my HDD drive before, but from the "Access IBM" flash
> movie I saw that the HDD has some special (?) black connector at one
> end. What's that?

It's a standard 44 Pin 2.5" IDE connector.

> Can I use any 80 GB 2.5" IDE/EIDE drive with 5400 RPM

You can use pretty much any 2.5" IDE drive you want. BUT: 2.5" drives come
in different physical heights. 9.5 mm and 12 mm are standard, others
exist. I think you may have problems installing drives > 12mm. So check
the drive installed for it's height and pick something in the same
ballpark.

cu