[ltp] Re: T43 IrDA FIR broken after suspend

Tue, 13 Jun 2006 13:47:45 -0300

On Tue, 13 Jun 2006, Shem Multinymous wrote:
> On 6/13/06, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh <hmh@hmh.eng.br> wrote:
> >Which SIR driver?  nsc-ircc or just plain regular 8250?
>
> Can nsc-ircc do FIR?!

Yes, as I said, I got my T43 to talk to WinXP SP2 (running on a Dell D510)
at 4Mbit/s using the latest version of the patch I sent to this ML.  Note:
all 8250 and uneeded SIR emulation modules were *not* *present* in the
kernel.

This whole IRDA subsystem is a major mess, it seems to be half-way there,
with lots of hard edges, and nobody is working on it hard enough (and I
certainly won't, I don't even OWN another IrDA-capable device other than my
T43...).

I am done with it. Any day now I will submit the trivial patch that lets
nsc-ircc in 2.6.17 talk to the freaking SuperIO/TPM chip in the T43, update
ThinkWiki to point to the 'really working 2.6.16 patches for the T43', and
forget the whole deal... At least until someone teaches me to talk to an
HP48G over SIR, *or* I get to own something that would actually benefit from
IrDA.

> Plain 8250 SIR works until suspend, nsc-ircc doesn't work for me at all.
> BTW, indeed no nsc-ircc crashes here if I rmmod 8250 and friends first.

As far as I could see while messing with IrDA, the kernel 8250 subsystem is
old, full of unfriendly "I own the UARTs" behaviour, and not really 100%
PnP-compatible or friendly to other kernel drivers.

Since I don't own a dock or port-replicator, I have found that removing 8250
serial support completely makes the kernel behave that much better when
dealing with nsc-ircc/IrDA.

> I'll start toying with 2.6.17 once the rest of the

I am not using 2.6.17 either, but it runs more than well enough unpatched
that you can load it, debug that specific functionality you need (without
suspending, hibernating, burning DVDs, jogging with the thinkpad... :-) )
and then go back to a regular 2.6.16 kernel with all functionality for other
work...

> way-too-many-patches-I-need-to-make-the-most-of-my-T43 are ported to
> it....

That will take quite a while :-(

  Henrique Holschuh