[ltp] Bad RAM or ?

Alan Phillips linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 14 Jun 2006 20:31:04 -0400

My Thinkpad x30 came with one 256 MB RAM module. I've updated the BIOS
to the latest from the IBM website. I ordered another 256 MB stick
from a vendor but the Thinkpad would not boot with this new RAM module
installed. When I ran the diagnostics it reported that the second RAM
stick was bad. I pulled out the original RAM, and put only the new RAM
in the first slot. The machine would not boot (no error beeps either).

Discouraged, I ordered a 256 MB RAM module from a second vendor. This
time the system would boot with the second RAM and the memory tests
showed 512 MB installed. The tests all failed on the second module
though. Again, I tried just the new RAM in the first slot and the
system would not boot. I called the second vendor and they shipped out
another RAM module. The same thing -- the system reports 512 MB of RAM
installed but throws errors from the second module during diagnostics.
The system will not boot with this new RAM in the original slot.

Is it unusual to see this much bad RAM? The system works great with
the original RAM installed -- any thoughts on where I can order RAM
that will work with this Thinkpad?

Thanks,
Alan