[ltp] Bad RAM or ?

Adrian Bastholm linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 15 Jun 2006 14:39:37 +0200

Buy kingston. It worked perfectly with my R50e.
/adrian

-----Original Message-----
From: linux-thinkpad-admin@linux-thinkpad.org
[mailto:linux-thinkpad-admin@linux-thinkpad.org] On Behalf Of Alan Phillips
Sent: den 15 juni 2006 02:31
To: Linux-Thinkpad Mailing List
Subject: [ltp] Bad RAM or ?

My Thinkpad x30 came with one 256 MB RAM module. I've updated the BIOS to
the latest from the IBM website. I ordered another 256 MB stick from a
vendor but the Thinkpad would not boot with this new RAM module installed.
When I ran the diagnostics it reported that the second RAM stick was bad. I
pulled out the original RAM, and put only the new RAM in the first slot. The
machine would not boot (no error beeps either).

Discouraged, I ordered a 256 MB RAM module from a second vendor. This time
the system would boot with the second RAM and the memory tests showed 512 MB
installed. The tests all failed on the second module though. Again, I tried
just the new RAM in the first slot and the system would not boot. I called
the second vendor and they shipped out another RAM module. The same thing --
the system reports 512 MB of RAM installed but throws errors from the second
module during diagnostics.
The system will not boot with this new RAM in the original slot.

Is it unusual to see this much bad RAM? The system works great with the
original RAM installed -- any thoughts on where I can order RAM that will
work with this Thinkpad?

Thanks,
Alan