[ltp] Smackpad....

Paul RIVIER linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 16 Jun 2006 11:14:03 +0200

m h wrote:

> People might find this interesting, though I haven't tried it.
>
> http://micampe.it/2006/06/04/here-comes-the-smackpad

Hi,

This remains to me an old idea, about how to make the touchpad usefull.
Indeed, I really prefer to use the trackpoint to move the pointer, and
the trackpoint became so annoying because of unintentionnal touch that I
disactivated in the bios, and I know a few others folks that did the
same. So this device has simply no use for many people.
Well, know what I would really like in a kind of smart driver for the
touchpad doing :
- If anything is happening on the keyboard or the trackpoint,
desactivate touchpad (I know that already exist)
- Configurable movements / action bindings, typically : move from left
to right go to workspace right; move up/down scrolls. And why not if
possible, fancy gesture regognition, like 'Z' closes the windows,
although I believe only straighforward moves can be really usefull.

Does anyone know if there is a work in progress around that ? I am quiet
a poor C coder and know almost nothing about writing a driver for linux
kernel or for X. But I can script the userland part, say, a Desktop
daemon for gnome / kde / whatever to swap workspaces and additionnal
good feature ideas.

Finally, this work could even be used on laptops with no trackpoint,
using for exemple a modifier key, or turn it on if a mouse is plugged.

Any idea ?

Regards

paul