[ltp] Re: Firegl T2, fglrx, xorg and glx: no XVideo

Matt Graham linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 16 Jun 2006 17:27:57 -0400

On Friday 16 June 2006 07:49, after a long battle with technology, Fionn
Behrens wrote:
> On Mo, 2006-06-12 at 12:30 -0400, Matt Graham wrote:
> > mail your xorg.conf to my address (not the list!) and
> > I'll diff it with mine and

You sent the file to the whole list.  Oops!

> my xorg.conf is attached.

All right, the relevant diffs aren't very large.  Relevant lines in your
xorg.conf:

 Option "Capabilities" "0x00008000"
 Option "CapabilitiesEx" "0x00000000"
 Option "DesktopSetup" "(null)"
 Option "PowerState" "2"
 Option "PseudoColorVisuals" "on"

Relevant lines in my xorg.conf:

 Option "Capabilities" "0x00000000"
 Option "DesktopSetup" "0x00000100"
 Option "PseudoColorVisuals" "off"

...OK, so you have PowerState, and you also have a CapabilitiesEx line
that I don't have.  You also have your pseudo-color visuals set to on,
while I don't.  And the DesktopSetup lines are different.  The
Capabilities lines aren't documented anywhere, as far as I can tell.  I
don't know what the DesktopSetup line does.

The pseudo-color line allows you to use 8-bit color, which you usually
don't need unless you have to run Xnest at 8-bit for ancient apps.
Having this on *may* be interfering with XV.  Or not.  I don't know.
That line and the PowerState line are the only lines that I'd feel
truly comfortable with changing.  Ah well, try it, see what you get....

--
   The night passed like a kidney stone: painfully and with the help of
   major sedatives.   --T. Delgado, Lyttle Lytton winner, 2001