[ltp] DVD is loud after ACPI sleep

Ben Pearre linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 20 Jun 2006 15:08:33 -0600

Hi all!

I'm running an R40 (2897gwu), kernel 2.6.16.5 with ACPI, latest Debian
unstable.

In the BIOS, my DVD drive is set to "silent" since I mostly use it to
watch movies.  And silent it is--after a reboot.  If I have not
suspended the machine, the drive is inaudible.  But if I sleep ( echo
-n mem > /sys/power/state ) and re-awaken (rehat?), then the DVD drive
will be noisy whenever I play a disk, until the next reboot.  A warm
boot is adequate...

I can't find info on ThinkWiki, and the mailing list archives I've
found are all about region-free hacks.  My google-fu is not up to par
either, apparently.

Any idea what's going on?  Can I restore the DVD to silent mode
without a reboot?

Many thanks!
-Ben

--