[ltp] did a storm grill my thinkpad ?

Jeffrey Davis linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 20 Jun 2006 21:52:37 -0400

On Wednesday 20 September 2006 08:49 am, Eric Van Buggenhaut wrote:
> At night there was a storm here, AC power was interrupted several
> times and my T42 was connected to AC. I left the laptop on when I went
> to bed, it was downloading an iso file.
>
> When I woke up this morning, the screen was frozen, no mouse or
> keyboard movement. I turned it off then on and the screen is dead
> blank. The IBM logo doesn't even show up. I quit the CD drive, the
> extra memory, the hard disk but it didn't help.
>
> Can it be that my motherboard was burnt by some power overcharge ?
> Isn't there any fuse to protect the equipment ? I also noticed that 2
> ports of my ADSL modem stopped working too...
>
> Is there a way I can buy a cheaper motherboard than those of IBM ?

 Don't write it off as fried yet. I had a similar episode with a 600 once.
It would not POST or boot. I removed the battery, disconnected the AC
supply, and left it alone for about a week. The day before I was supposed
to send it back for warranty repair, I put the battery in, turned it on and
it booted. Still using it three years later, with no problems.

 Jeff