ntpd and Re: [ltp] getting correct time on a laptop (IBM ThinkPad T23)

Martin Steigerwald linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 25 Jun 2006 21:52:06 +0200

Am Sonntag 25 Juni 2006 20:06 schrieb George Yanos:
> I've been reading along on this thread and have a question.  What
> is the reason NOT to use ntpd by itself.  It seems to keep my laptop
> perfectly in sync with my time server, which keeps itself perfectly
> in sync with USNO.

Hallo George,

my laptop is without network connections for several days sometimes and
the hardware clock is very inaccurate. I did not record it exactly, but 5
minutes off in 1-2 days is easily possible.

Chrony records that inaccuracy even without network access - as good as it
can estimate it - and adjusts its the clock accordingly.

Regards,