[ltp] USB boots for T22 and T23?

Bernard Tremblay linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 26 Jun 2006 22:56:38 -0400

On lun, 2006-06-26 at 13:23 +0100, Dale Amon wrote:
> Question: can either the T22 or T23 use a USB key
> as a boot device?
>
> If not as a bootable file system, can the BIOS
> be tricked?  On some machines I have managed to make
> the key look like a floppy... so does either allow you
> to boot from a USB floppy device?

I have a T23 at work and it does boot from an USB key if you set up the
BIOS boot sequence accordingly.

I don't know about the T22, but the T21 doesn't boot from an USB key.
You have to boot with a floppy or a CD that will load the USB driver and
chain with the USB key.   See http://www.chipnick.com/thumbdrive-linux/
for a recipie that work with Feather Linux
http://featherlinux.berlios.de/  a nice very small linux distro that fit
well on an USB key.

Regards,

      BT