[ltp] Re: Linux-Thinkpad digest, Vol 1 #1303 - 15 msgs

Laurent Gilson linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 01 Jul 2006 00:04:16 +0200

Hello,

>> >1) 600MHz @ 0.7V
>> >2) rovclock -c 80 -m 100
>> >3) minimum brightness
>> >4) wireless radio off
>> >5) disabled dvd drive (via lt_hotswap)
>> >6) very agressive hdd power-saving

Hint: with enough ram you can disable the HD altogether. Copy a compressed
HD-image into ram at startup and use that as / (initrd, unionfs, squashfs
and you´r set). copy back anything you need before shutdown using rsync.

> I too am amazed at 7.6W.

Here: R51, 9.5W at idle desktop. I think that T42 is a execption.

> Is the 0.7 Volts in 1) undervolting?

yes. (i´m using it myself)

> Finally, ATI just released a new fglrx driver

If you can use fglrx and don´t mind the closed-source nature: forget about
dyn-clock and rovclock. The open-source solution cannot change the GPU
corevoltage and cannot disable some GPU festures. Properly installed fglrx
does all that (=Powerplay).

cu