[ltp] ICH6M legacy hotswap?

Jim Duchek linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 28 Feb 2006 18:04:51 -0600

------=_Part_2791_30874470.1141171491194

Is it really the case that the chip simply won't go into AHCI in that case?
I would sincerely doubt that ONLY the BIOS can do something like that.  Beg
IBM for a BIOS upgrade?

Jim

On 28/02/06, Shem Multinymous <multinymous@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 2/28/06, Matthew Garrett <mjg59@srcf.ucam.org> wrote:
> > To the best of my knowledge, there is no way to get an ICH6 into AHCI
> > mode if the BIOS has set it up in legacy mode.
>
> Yeah, I've just found Jeff's posts on that.
> It's a real shame, taking a perfectly good AHCI controller and using
> it in legacy mode... I hope someone finds a way to hack it out.
>

> > I wrote some code that
> > basically does what lt_hotswap does for SATA devices that worked fine o=
> > my ICH6 test machine (a Dell rather than a Thinkpad, but shouldn't
> > matter in this case), but it needs much more polish before it's
> > integratable.
>
> Eagerly awaited.
>
>   Shem
> --

------=_Part_2791_30874470.1141171491194

Is it really the case that the chip simply won't go into AHCI in that case?=
&nbsp; I would sincerely doubt that ONLY the BIOS can do something like tha=
=3D"gmail_quote">
On 28/02/06, <b class=3D"gmail_sendername">Shem Multinymous</b> &lt;<a href=
=3D"mailto:multinymous@gmail.com">multinymous@gmail.com</a>&gt; wrote:</spa=
n><blockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"border-left: 1px solid rgb(204=
, 204, 204); margin: 0pt 0pt 0pt 0.8ex; padding-left: 1ex;">
On 2/28/06, Matthew Garrett &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:mjg59@srcf.ucam.org">mjg5=
9@srcf.ucam.org</a>&gt; wrote:<br>&gt; To the best of my knowledge, there i=
s no way to get an ICH6 into AHCI<br>&gt; mode if the BIOS has set it up in=
 legacy mode.
aking a perfectly good AHCI controller and using<br>it in legacy mode... I =
that
ine on<br>&gt; my ICH6 test machine (a Dell rather than a Thinkpad, but sho=
uldn't<br>&gt; matter in this case), but it needs much more polish before i=
t's