[ltp] FC4 X31 ipw2100

Rei Shinozuka linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 3 Mar 2006 15:50:42 -0500

i loaded Fedora Core 4 onto a dual/boot X31.  it works very well, i
had it mount my XP vfat partition containing my documents.

the hardware browser says the
wireless is "Intel Corporation PRO/Wireless LAN 2100 3B Mini PCI
Adapter."  the driver is ipw2100 and the device is /dev/eth1.

under network configuration, only the eth0 / Ethernet shows up.
when i try to add the wireless, it shows up inder "Ethernet connection."
"Wireless connection" contains only "Other Wireless Card"

under "Ethernet Device" i can add "Intel Corporation PRO/WIreless LAN 2100
3B Mini PCI Adapter (eth1)".  however when i attempt to activate the
interface, a dialog appears showing "eepro100 device eth1 does not seem
to be present, delaying initialization".  i wonder if /dev/eth1 is not
correct?

i googled around, and the hits that came back looked obsolete to me, dating
back to when the x31 was a brand new machine, and the wifi was a new
chipset.

additional facts:
the green antenna indicator never goes on under FC4.
the wired ethernet works perfectly in FC4.
the wifi works perfectly in xp mode.

thanks in advance.

-rei

--