[ltp] making non-antialiased fonts looks nice.

Sun, 5 Mar 2006 12:23:41 +0200

--5I6of5zJg18YgZEa

On Sat, Mar 04, 2006 at 12:51:47PM -0800, noc ops wrote:
> Looking for anyone who can help me with the ugly fonts output. I've
> spent 80 hours on this issue and I'm still struggling to make my
> Thinkpad T43 w/ ubuntu 5.10 come close to microsoft fonts output or
> better yet similar to Apple/OSX render fonts.

I find my fonts prettier in Ubuntu than on Windows.

I've installed the msttcorefonts package (which contains Arial, Verdana
and the other MS fonts), and chose subpixel rendering and full hinting
in the GNOME font settings dialog.  I also set the DPI to 96 in the same
place.

> I want to know how can they be improved and what did you do to fix it.
>=20
> The fonts always seem slightly blurry and jagged and feel like I'm
> straining my eyes in order to get a clear image.

Do you use subpixel rendering, or just plain antialiasing?  I strongly
recommend subpixel rendering if you have an LCD screen (and since you
speak about a T43 laptop, you do).

I also remember that if you run 'dpkg-reconfigure fontconfig', and choose
to use the autohinting, then MS fonts will look bad.  I chose the 'Native'
tuning.

HTH,
Marius Gedminas
--=20
Anything can be made to work if you fiddle with it long enough.

--5I6of5zJg18YgZEa

--5I6of5zJg18YgZEa--