[ltp] ATI Driver - Thinkpad T43 w/ X300

Jiang Qian linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 6 Mar 2006 19:31:03 -0500

On Mon, Mar 06, 2006 at 04:22:39PM -0800, noc ops wrote:
> Looking for some thoughts regarding the driver I'm looking to use for my
> TP T43 w/ x300.
>
> According to ati's website (ati.com), section under
>

> Notebooks with ATI Graphics->
>
> ATI Proprietary Linux x86 Display Drivers for XFREE86 / X. Org Version
> 8.22.5->
>
> ->ati-driver-installer-8.22.5-i386.run
>
> appears to be the most current driver.
If you don't mind closed source driver tainting your kernel, it works
pretty well for me with X300. I'm using a version earlier: 8.21.7.
Stability is very good: I use it with Xorg 8.2 and patched vanilla
2.6.12.4 and my T43 has very long uptime(30 days to be precise. It
crashed because I removed the battery to my fridge--longer battery
time--and my apartment's power failed.) I use suspend to ram a couple of
times a day so that's about 100 suspend-to-ram cycles(to get it to work
you need to patch the kernel, though). No random lockup for me though I
don't play games. 3D is working of course, and the power save mode does
make my laptop cooler(it's at least comparable and quite possibly better
than the dynamic clock on open source driver).
Jiang