[ltp] ATI Driver - Thinkpad T43 w/ X300

Jiang Qian linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 6 Mar 2006 20:23:27 -0500

On Mon, Mar 06, 2006 at 05:11:28PM -0800, noc ops wrote:

> Jiang Qian wrote:

> >>-----------------
> >>My current newly installed ubuntu has X.org v6.8.2. I'm guessing I
> >>should leave this as is unless people think this is not a stable release.
> >>
> >>I will go ahead and install ati-driver-installer-8.22.5-i386.run unless
> >>you think 8.21.7 is more stable and gives better output.
> >>

> >>regards,
> >>/virendra
> >
> > Never tried the later version but in my experience ATI didn't have a lot
> > of regression so it's probably safe to get the latest driver. On thing
> > to note: you want to generate the package for your own distribution and
> > then use your own package management to install it.  This is because ati
> > driver install some different library files and symbolic links so that
> > it's best to let your distro to take care of it. See
> > http://thinkwiki.org/wiki/Problems_with_fglrx
> > for pitfalls for your distro. For example for my own distro I did
> >  ./ati-driver-installer-8.21.7-i386.run --buildpkg Ubuntu/5.04
> > It generates five packages. I installed them then compile the kernel
> > modules.
> > Jiang
> ---------------------
> This is how I'm planning on installing the driver. Let me know if I'm
> missing anything.
>
> #sudo apt-get install gcc-3.4 module-assistant build-essential fakeroot
> dh-make debconf libstdc++5 gcc-3.3-base
> #sudo sh ./ati-driver-installer-8.22.5-i386.run --buildpkg Ubuntu/breezy
> #sudo dpkg -i xorg-driver-fglrx_8.22.5-1_i386.deb
> #sudo dpkg -i fglrx-control_8.22.5-1_i386.deb
> #sudo dpkg -i fglrx-kernel-source_8.22.5-1_i386.deb
> #sudo m-a prepare
> #sudo m-a update
> #sudo m-a a-i fglrx
What are the m-a a-i stuff? I did up dpkg -i fglrx-kernel-source part.
Then I did the following:
sudo tar xfj fglrx.tar.bz2
sudo cd modules
sudo chmod u+x make.sh
sudo ./make.sh
sudo mv fglrx.ko to /lib/modules/yourkernelversion/misc
sudo depmod -ae

> Do I need to run aitconfig (see below)?
No I did not. I backed up my old xorg.conf then I changed
Section "Device"
Driver "fglrx"
Options "VideoOverlay" "on"
Options "OpenGLOverlay" "off"
Options "UseInternalAGPART" "no"
also disable any mentions of composite and transparency if you added it
to your xorg.conf yourself.
Of course you cal also use aticonfig --initial and answer a bunch of
questions and get a xorg.conf but do back up before that.