[ltp] making non-antialiased fonts looks nice.

Bret Comstock Waldow linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 7 Mar 2006 14:56:09 +1300

--nextPart5347325.ZG3kcL1Anl

On Tue, 07 Mar 2006 13:58, noc ops wrote:

> So are you saying that I shouldn't mess with DPI settings and let the
> system scale it?
>
> My xdypinfo is reporting correct DPI of 96x96 when I set it for 370 277
> according to the above formula.

I glanced back over the messages, and didn't spot the one where you said th=
e=20
physical size of your display.

My calculations are for the 14.1" diagonal LCD on my T42, with 1400 x 1050=
=20
resolution.

If you have the same size LCD you DON'T HAVE 96dpi, you have ~124dpi actual=
=20
resolution, so, in that case, it's not reporting "correct DPI", it's wrong.=
 =20
Not surprisingly, as the only way X knows your display size is by the=20
'DisplaySize' parameter entered into xorg.conf.

In your case, you have set it to the wrong numbers (if you have a 14.1"=20
diagonal LCD) - it's not 370 by 277, it's 287 by 215.

So, if your LCD is another size than 14.1", crank up a spreadsheet and lay =
it=20
out.  If it's 14.1" your numbers are wrong in the first place, and xdpyinfo=
=20
will report wrong numbers in turn - 'garbage in, garbage out'.

diagonal mm =3D diagonal inches * 25.4
horizontal mm =3D 4* diagonal mm / 5
vertical mm =3D 3 * diagonal mm /5

Cheers,