[ltp] Ram suspend on ThinkPad x41 Tablet

Shot (Piotr Szotkowski) linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 7 Mar 2006 14:25:56 +0100

--RnlQjJ0d97Da+TV1

Antonio Abramo:

> 1. Extra button: what I would like to do is to intercept the code of
> the rotation button as an event and make the screen to rotate. I made
> it with the Access IBM button (invoking a script that changes the
> xorg.conf and restarts Kde) but I wasn't able to do it with the tablet
> buttons. Any clues?

I did some attempts to capture the keycodes of the tablet=E2=80=99s buttons=
 for
Ubuntu=E2=80=99s Paul Sladen; IIRC, the key does not generate a keycode, no=
r an
ACPI event.

BTW: How do you rotate the screen? I thought the i810 driver did not
support rotation (and `xrandr --query` suggests it=E2=80=99s not possible),=
 but
I=E2=80=99d love to at least apply your approach.

> 2. MORE IMPORTANT: was anyone able to make the suspend-to-ram work?

On Ubuntu Breezy it worked for me out-of-the-box, but sometimes did not
bring the screen back to life after waking up; I did the following and
it seems to be reliable now:

- uncommented ACPI_SLEEP=3Dtrue in /etc/default/acpi-support,
- added acpi_sleep=3Ds3_bios to GRUB=E2=80=99s kernel options.

The only bummer is that after putting X41 to sleep and waking it back
up, the headphones do not work - no matter whether they=E2=80=99re plugged =
in
or not, the laptop directs all sound to the speakers.

Fortunately, hibernation (suspend-to-disk) works out-of-the-box in
Ubuntu, so I simply don=E2=80=99t use suspend-to-RAM (sleep), but hibernati=
on
instead.

-- Shot
--=20
I'm not much of a kernel hacker, but a quick (and not very efficient,
granted) fix could be to make the offset an extern variable, yes?
That would force the compiler to fall back on the basic "your gun,
your foot, your choice" memory model.                    -- jtv, LKML

--RnlQjJ0d97Da+TV1

--RnlQjJ0d97Da+TV1--