[ltp] making non-antialiased fonts looks nice.

Greg Meyer linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 7 Mar 2006 10:25:00 -0500

On Monday 06 March 2006 7:58 pm, noc ops wrote:
> Bret Comstock Waldow wrote:
> >>
> >>------------------
> >>Not according to this formula:
> >>
> >>X = screen-res-x * 25.4 / desired-dpi
> >>Y = screen-res-y * 25.4 / desired-dpi
> >
> > 14.1" diagonal with 1400 x 1050:
> > 14.1" = 358mm
> > Y = 215mm ( 3 * diagonal / 5 ), X = 287mm ( 4 * diagonal / 5 )
> > This display is slightly over 124 dpi
> >
> > Why do you want to pretend you have 96dpi when you don't?  Using the
> > correct measurements in xorg.conf means an item that is supposed to be an
> > inch will actually be an inch on the display (or a cm or whatever).
> > Point sizes will be correct, measurements will be correct.  Everything
> > will be scaled properly.
>
> --------------------
> So are you saying that I shouldn't mess with DPI settings and let the
> system scale it?
>
> My xdypinfo is reporting correct DPI of 96x96 when I set it for 370 277
> according to the above formula.

You may have to mess with them because X doesn't always know what your screen
size is right, but set it to what it really is rather than some arbitrary
number that Windows assumes.  I think you will find your fonts will look much
nicer, and be the right size (ie 10pt will really be 10pt) if you get the
measurements right.  The way to do this is to actually measure the screen and
enter those setting into the DisplaySize variable.

The way to use the formula is to enter X and Y, and then calculate actual dpi.
You are using the formula backwards by solving for the wrong variable.  You
know X and Y, what you don't know is desired dpi.
--
/g