[ltp] T41 - Dualview trouble

Thu, 9 Mar 2006 13:11:05 +0200

--5vNYLRcllDrimb99

On Wed, Mar 08, 2006 at 09:06:03PM -0500, Paul Kaplan wrote:
> On Wednesday 08 March 2006 18:23, T.Kolb wrote:
> > On Wednesday 08 March 2006 21:57, Marius Gedminas wrote:
> > > On Wed, Mar 08, 2006 at 05:35:31PM +0100, T.Kolb wrote:
> > It seems that xorg-6.9.0 and 7.0.0 are  not completely the same.
> > In my case the xorg.conf works except of the point that my external LCD,
> > which is able to show resolutions up to 1280x1024 shows only the same
> > resolution as the internal one (1024x768). Or do you think it could hav=
e an
> > other cause?

Did you use xrandr to switch between modes?  When I log in, I get
1024x768 showing the same picture on both monitors by default.  I then
use xrandr -s 0 to get a 2304x1024 desktop, with the internal LCD
showing 1024x768, and the external one showing 1280x1024 (separate
pictures).

> > The most important point for me is to have the same picture on the inte=
rnal
> > LCD as on the external one (e.g. for makink presentations with a beamer=
).
> > So it would be fine if I could give a different resolution to the exter=
nal
> > LCD than to the internal one.

For that one you do not need any special xorg.conf.  This worked for me
out of the box, all I had to do was connect an external monitor and get
the same picture on both of them.

I do not think it is possible to get the same picture in different
resolutions on the two monitors.  The Radeon hardware might be capable
of scaling the 1024x768 image to 1280x1024, but the driver does not
support that.  On the other hand, external LCD monitors usually have
internal scalers, so if your VGA output carries a 1024x768 image, the
monitor itself can scale it up smoothly to 1280x1024.

> I've been looking for months for a way to get the 7500 card to drive an=
=20
> internal 1024x768 plus an external 1280x1024 using xorg 6.9 as a virtual=
=20
> desktop of 2304x1024.  When I use an xorg.conf file that worked with Xine=
rama=20
> on xorg <=3D6.8.2, I couldn't get a signal to the external monitor; the v=
irtual=20
> desktop was live, but no signal was sent to the external monitor

It works for me.  Did you try my config file?  Did you remove the
manually specified CRT2HSync and CRT2VRefresh ranges -- perhaps they're
different for your monitor?  Did you start X while the external monitor
was attached?

> Thorsten, since you have the 7500 card (Marius' xorg.conf file implies he=
 has=20
> a 9000 card),

lspci says that my card is

  0000:01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Radeon
  Mobility M7 LW [Radeon Mobility 7500]

Xorg.0.log says

  (--) Chipset ATI Radeon Mobility M7 LW (AGP) found
  (--) RADEON(0): Chipset: "ATI Radeon Mobility M7 LW (AGP)" (ChipID =3D 0x=
4c57)
  (II) RADEON(0): Detected Radeon Mobility M7, disabling multimedia i2c

The "Radeon Mobility 9000 (M7 LW)" string was added to my xorg.conf by
the Ubuntu installer.  I do not know why.  I suppose I should change it.

> have you tried one of the -layout options, MergedFB or=20
> Xinerama, to drive both monitors to create teh 2304x1024 desktop I'm look=
ing=20
> for without scrolling?
> Paul

Marius Gedminas
--=20
HOST SYSTEM NOT RESPONDING, PROBABLY DOWN. DO YOU WANT TO WAIT? (Y/N)

--5vNYLRcllDrimb99

--5vNYLRcllDrimb99--