[ltp] ATI Driver - Thinkpad T43 w/ X300

Igor V. Rafienko linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 9 Mar 2006 22:43:07 +0100 (MET)

on Mar 9, 2006, 16:07, Harish Narayanan wrote:

>> Is there any reason that I shouldn't upgrade my current default driver
>> to ati's 8.22.5?

Incidentally, 8.23.7 is out. The OP may want to jump onto that.

[ ... ]

> It is proprietary software, and you're tainting your otherwise fully
> Free default installation.

<sarcasm>Yeah, because the free alternatives are *sooooo* much
better...</sarcasm>

It is very nice to adhere to principles. It is even nicer to have working
3D hardware acceleration. YMMV, as always. Don't get me wrong, radeon is
nice for a number of applications, but unfortunately the stable releases
of xorg on a number of platforms do not include r300 yet, and radeon
itself does not provide 3D acceleration for the X300-family.

ivr
--
Besides, meat tends to run away when possible, or fights. Either
response presents behavioral challenges too complex for any existing