[ltp] T41 - Dualview trouble

Fri, 10 Mar 2006 09:08:29 +0200

--1yeeQ81UyVL57Vl7

On Thu, Mar 09, 2006 at 04:01:09PM +0100, Ulrich Kuehn wrote:
> I wonder which window manager is best to support such a setup with dual
> monitor / mergefb. Any specific recommendation?
>=20
> I am especially interested in something that can support switching
> setups and suspend-to-disk (in form of suspend2), which I regularly use.
> Most interesting for me would be to support external monitor and at
> times a beamer, but also a single-monitor setup when on trips. However,
> any window show on external should then be moved to the internal screen.
>=20
> Maybe someone can hint me towards a solution...

If you use MergedFB, then you can switch between dual-head and clone
mode with xrandr.  I use Metacity (the standard GNOME window manager),
and it nicely repositions off-screen windows so that a large part of
them is visible when I switch from dual-head to clone mode.

I added a couple of launchers to my GNOME panel: one is labeled 'single
head' and runs 'xrandr -s 1024x768', the other one is labeled 'dual
head' and runs 'xrandr -s 0'.

Back when I used two 1024x768 displays, I also sometimes used xvidtune
-next (because Ctrl+Alt+KP_Plus is hard to press on a ThinkPad
keyboard) to get a virtual 2048x1024 desktop with a 1024x768 scrollable
area.  xvidtune also lets you switch back, of course.  I haven't tried
it with my irregular 1024x768-1280x1024 dualhead setup yet.

Marius Gedminas
--=20
As of 2.91, these bugs have all been fixed.  We look forward to new ones, w=
ell,
not exactly...
		-- libstdc++-v3 FAQ

--1yeeQ81UyVL57Vl7