[ltp] skinny fonts

noc ops linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 10 Mar 2006 07:58:00 -0800

Greg Meyer wrote:
> On Tuesday 07 March 2006 7:48 pm, noc ops wrote:
>
>>Gnome font preferences:
>>
>>application font: verdana
>>desktop font: verdana bold
>>window title font: andale mono
>>terminal font: lucida console
>>

> BTW, if you are running GNOME, have you gone into gnome-font-properties
> details and set the dpi to agree with your X.  GNOME doesn't automatically
> set it to be the same, and this can cause font rendering problems if your X
> is set to 125dpi and gnome is set to 96
---------------
Correct. My gnome and X are talking 96 dpi.

I think it's 1400x1050 tiny font appearance (skinny and faint) that's
causing my eyes pain. Also I was hoping to achieve windows like font
appearance that I'm not getting even after upgrading to freetype-2.1.10.
Hence I'm now looking at downgrading my laptop resolution to 1024x768
(max) resolution. Maybe getting another thinkpad model.

See my earlier post regarding screenshots.

Maybe I'm being too picky, then again I spend a min of 12 hrs on my
machine :-)

regards,
/virendra