[ltp] skinny fonts

Greg Meyer linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 10 Mar 2006 11:50:58 -0500

On Friday 10 March 2006 10:58 am, noc ops wrote:
> Correct. My gnome and X are talking 96 dpi.
>
> I think it's 1400x1050 tiny font appearance (skinny and faint) that's
> causing my eyes pain. Also I was hoping to achieve windows like font
> appearance that I'm not getting even after upgrading to freetype-2.1.10.
> Hence I'm now looking at downgrading my laptop resolution to 1024x768
> (max) resolution. Maybe getting another thinkpad model.
>
> See my earlier post regarding screenshots.
>
> Maybe I'm being too picky, then again I spend a min of 12 hrs on my
> machine

Have you tried setting everything to 125 dpi yet, which is the real resolution
of your screen.  This way fonts are really the right size and you can resize
them to you taste and get more correct font rendering at the same time.  I
really felt like I was having trouble with fonts on my machine until I did
this, in fact it solved the problem where I was having to use large fonts on
screen to get something readable, and then they would be too big when
printed.
--
/g