[ltp] T4x: Xinerama with different resolutions

Aaron Mulder linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 11 Mar 2006 12:47:00 -0500

So it looks like if you use the open source ATI driver it's pretty
easy to set up two displays using MergedFB.  However, if the two
screens have different resolutions, the total space is as large as
twice the larger screen and the smaller screen pans.

Is there any way to have each screen run at its native resolution with
no panning?

I tried "normal dual-head plus Xinerama" where I had two device
sections one saying "Screen 1" and the other "Screen 0", but when I
did that it never detected both the laptop LCD and the external VGA --
I only got one or the other.  I tried various settings of
MonitorLayout for the two device sections, but that didn't help
(either I got only one screen, or both "screens" were driving the same
monitor, which was pretty unfortunate).  Is there some way to use
Screen 0 and Screen 1 and force one to be the laptop screen and the
other to be the VGA monitor?

Thanks,
    Aaron