[ltp] Dual boot with two hard drives - Ultrabay

Mon, 13 Mar 2006 02:06:06 +0000

Josh wrote:
> I have a T43 Thinkpad.  Ubuntu linux is on the whole
> 60GB drive.  I couldn't make a dual boot system (long
> story - I've done it many times before but it would
> not work with this hard drive because it wouldn't
> defragment completely no matter how many times I
> reinstalled windows and defragged with XP tool and
> Diskkeeper).  So I bought an Ultrabay hard drive
> adapter and a 40GB drive for Windows.

Unless you really really want the maximum performance, you could perhaps
solve this problem in an easier way: run Windows inside a virtual machine.
   VMWARE  = near 100% performance; costs about $100 (free player, if
you can get someone else to install for you)

   QEMU (GPL) = 20% performance

   QEMU + KQEMU (binary) = 50% performance. (Free beer).

The huge advantage of virtual machines is that you can run them
simultaneously - no reboots!

Lastly, Wine is now pretty good for a significant number of tasks.

I do realise that I haven't answered your actual question. but I hope it
helps.

[Incidentally, as I understand it, Windows really really hates it when
you move it's hardware from under it - you may find that the easiest
alternative is to install windows in the destination where it will
actually live. But I'm not a Windows geek, so there may be a better way.]

Best wishes,

Richard