[ltp] Which Distro supports T60?

Matt Graham linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 15 Mar 2006 10:53:23 +0000

On Tuesday 14 March 2006 14:45, after a long battle with technology,
Macskasi Csaba wrote:
> On Tue, 14 Mar 2006 14:52:02 +0100, Aaron Mulder wrote:
> > It did install.  However, it didn't recognize the wireless adapter
> > (Intel abg)

If this is an Intel2[12]00, you need to have a set of firmware files as
well as the ipw2200 kernel module.  The firmware files are available on
http://ipw2200.sourceforge.net/ , and your distro may have a package
available for those files.  Check for a distro package first.

> > Suspend to RAM was nearly instantaneous, but upon resume the screen
> > stayed black

This apparently used to be a problem on the T42p in the days of kernel
2.6.8, but it's fixed now.  Um... at least several people using T42ps
worked around it by setting the CPU frequency to the lowest speed
possible, spinning the disk down, and turning off the backlight with
radeontool.  Better than nothing, I guess, as long as cpufreqd and
radeontool work properly on the machine.

> Was the same thing with debian stable and my R50e. However, if one
> chooses the distribution because of the hardware, he did not get the
> gist of linux.

Laptops tend to have weirder and newer hardware than desktops.  Debian
stable is still using *XFree86* by default, which has many problems
with new video chips.  XFree86 + ATI FireGL = plenty trouble, according
to the T42p pages found on tuxmobil.org.

> Use your favorite distribution and adapt it to your needs...

That's fine, *if* the user has the skill/experience necessary to do
that.  Not everybody does.  Lots of people want to get all their
hardware working with minimal hassle, and if Distro N Version A.B does
that while Distro M Version C.D doesn't, more people will be using N
A.B.  (Or you could wait about 6 months.  Hardware support tends to be
minimal with stuff right on the bleeding edge and gets better as
hardware gets older, and then vanish when hardware gets *really* old.)

--
 As a dog stood outside the gate of a temple, the Buddha called to him,
 "Dog, why do you not enter?" The dog looked back and replied, "I do not