[ltp] T43: Lagged mouse + keys in games

fire-eyes linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 15 Mar 2006 07:11:11 -0500

On Tuesday 14 March 2006 21:56, Boris Ruppert wrote:
> fire-eyes wrote:
> > I have a new T43. It has an ati x300 video card in it. I have set up
> > ati-drivers successfully.
> >
> > The graphics in various games (quake3 , unreal tournament 2004) is fine.
> >  The problem is that mouse input (from the stick, pad or exernal usb)
> > and keyboard input lags by about 0.5 to 1.5 seconds. It pretty much
> > makes the games unplayable.
> >
> > Anyone know what's going on here?
>
> Hi,
>
> I am still curious about this and tried to track down this issue in the
> last days but could not find a solution. I get the same behavior with an
> external mouse and keyboard (usb).
>
> Since people report the same behavior for windows I thought I could find
> more about that through google but didn't find a real explanation or
> lost of reports from people playing under windows.
>
> My thinkpad performs generally well, so I won't give up the hope to play
> enemy territory on it. First I thought this might be related to ATI
> drivers but it really seems to be the input and I don't have any idea
> how to tweak it besides mouse resolution and sensitivity which doesn't
> help.
>
> Maybe we can investigate this further.

Hi,

The only way I have been able to increase the performance is to crank down
various texture related options in the games. I was able to get ut2004
playable framerate wise, but I still get severe texture and model tearing
errors. I have seen these on any system with an ATI card using ati's own
drivers. In the end I cannot play ut2004, which is a real shame, and very
aggrivating (damn you ati, make good linux drivers!!)

I think that due to the X300's low texture memory of 64MB, turning down
texture options helps a lot.