[ltp] Battery Cell Replacement

Sat, 18 Mar 2006 00:13:26 +0000

FeRD wrote:

> My specific 'method' (to madness) was to run the computer with
> power-management disabled systemwide, unplugged, until the machine
> actually lost power and died. (Might be a good idea to keep the
> filesystems relatively quiescent towards the end of the period.) Then,
> I'd take the machine over to its power supply and plug it in to charge,
> still powered off. Lather, rinse, repeat.

I suggest that
    mount -o remount,ro   /
(remounting the root filesystem read-only)
and doing likewise with other partitions would be a good idea!

If you care about measuring the lifetime, plug in a usb-memory key
(a filesystem you don't care about), and run:
	while : ; do
		uptime >  lifetime.log
		date >> lifetime.log
		sync
		sleep 2
	done

Then you can flatten the battery at a faster rate by running, say
glxgears in full-screen (uses both CPU and graphics card).

Richard