[ltp] Battery Cell Replacement

Fri, 17 Mar 2006 17:57:42 -0800

---- Richard Neill <rn214@hermes.cam.ac.uk> wrote:

> FeRD wrote:
>
> > My specific 'method' (to madness) was to run the computer with
> > power-management disabled systemwide, unplugged, until the machine
> > actually lost power and died. (Might be a good idea to keep the
> > filesystems relatively quiescent towards the end of the period.) Then,
> > I'd take the machine over to its power supply and plug it in to charge,
> > still powered off. Lather, rinse, repeat.
> >

> I suggest that
>     mount -o remount,ro   /
> (remounting the root filesystem read-only)
> and doing likewise with other partitions would be a good idea!
>
> If you care about measuring the lifetime, plug in a usb-memory key
> (a filesystem you don't care about), and run:
> 	while : ; do
> 		uptime >  lifetime.log
> 		date >> lifetime.log
> 		sync
> 		sleep 2
> 	done
>
> Then you can flatten the battery at a faster rate by running, say
> glxgears in full-screen (uses both CPU and graphics card).
>
> Richard
> --

The real problem here is that the battery has a counter that keeps track of the charge/discharge cycles and when they hit a preset number the entire battery goes into an open circuit.
This is needed because Li-Ion cells become llittle fire bombs ( ask Dell ) after some number of cycles.
So unless you find some way to reset the count, it does not make much sense to replace the cells.