[ltp] Wine crashes on T42p with ATI drivers

Chris Bainbridge linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 19 Mar 2006 14:22:37 +0000

On 18/03/06, Matthias Mueller <mats@els.ch> wrote:
> This one helped in my case (T43p + fglrx):
> http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p-2976364.html#2976364

Well done, that fixed it for me. I also found
http://www2.ati.com/drivers/linux/readme0328.txt which says:

"19. Compatibility with WineX and other emulators

     *** this section only applys to FireGL workstation boards ***
     *** respective settings for other adapters have no effect ***"

Seems it also affects thinkpad laptops.

"     The entered value for the key UseFastTLS has this meaning:

     value meaning   description
     ----------------------------------------------------------------------=
--
       0   default   FireGL workstation boards: fast operation
       1   on        fast operation

     Note: The above mentioned fault is not a driver bug, but it's caused b=
     lack of management functionality for the respective resource in the
     hosting operating system. Alternatively it can be considered as a prob=
lem
     of the application to preserve the respective state of the used TLS me=
thod
     that the OpenGL driver did already "claim" and use."

Hmm, so they are blaming Linux for the fact that their fglrx driver
can cause a kernel crash when running threaded user-space
applications? Bah.