[ltp] Several Problems on Gentoo with T43

Daniel Baule linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 22 Mar 2006 22:45:37 +0000

Am Mittwoch, 22. M=E4rz 2006 19:36 schrieb Matt Graham:
> On Wednesday 22 March 2006 11:27, after a long battle with technology,
>
> baule@zitmail.uni-paderborn.de wrote:
> > sorry i didn't know, that the mail was sent, it wasn't finished yet.
> > Otherwise you would have more informations from me ;-)
>
> S'OK.  It looked unfinished, but you never really know....
>
> > I managed to install both alsa and ati, seemed to be some problems
> > with compiling the kernel. Recompiling it made me able to emerge the
> > necessary packages.
>
> Yes, that's how it usually goes.

> > > 2915, not 2200, but it should still work.
> >
> > I got several problems with my wireless configuration.
> > I can't connect while booting (net.eth0 no accesspoint found...) but
> > when i manually restart the init-Skript in Console it does find the
> > correct AP. After 10 minutes I get disconnected without error messages
> > and must restart the script again.
>
> Interesting.  Er... which exact version of ipw2200 are you using?  There
> are a fair number of them, some more stable than others.  If it has an
> even number as the last digit, it's stable; odd number is development.
> So you'd want to try 1.1.0 first, not 1.1.1.  I don't know for sure
> what could be causing your access point problems; I haven't used my
> ipw2200 that much.  (No 802.11 at work, and leeching off the factory
> default access point one of my less-bright neighbors set up just
> seems... rude.)

It is 1.1.1, will try the other version.

> > I use the ipw2200 drivers and firmware from testing-portage (same
> > problem with stable portage). I can't find a driver for 2915
> > directly, what do you mean with 2915?
>
> The 2915 and 2200 are similar (but different) and are supported by the
> same kernel module.  Comments on ipw2200.sourceforge.net and the Gentoo
> forums made me feel that 1.1.0 was the right version of ipw2200 to try.
>
> > 1.) I can not emerge ibm-acpi.
> > Entering directoy `usr/src/linu-2.6.15-gentoo-r7`
> > CC[M] /var/tmp/portage/ibm-acpi-0.11-r1/work/ibm-acpi-0.11/ibm_acpi.o
> > Building modules, stage 2.
> > MODPOST
> > /bin/sh: scripts/mod/modpost: No such file or directory
>
> Hm.  This should be
> in /usr/src/linux-2.6.15-gentoo-r7/scripts/mod/modpost if you've
> configured and built a kernel.  And it shouldn't be necessary to build
> this as a separate package; the ibm_acpi module in 2.6.15.6 vanilla
> seems to work just fine on a T42p.  (Your T43 may vary.)

denkbrett daniel # ls /usr/src/linux-2.6.15-gentoo-r7/scripts/mod/
=2Eelfconfig.h.cmd   .gitignore         .modpost.o.cmd     elfconfig.h     =
  =20
file2alias.c       mk_elfconfig.c     modpost.h          sumversion.o
=2Eempty.o.cmd       .mk_elfconfig.cmd  .sumversion.o.cmd  empty.c         =
  =20
file2alias.o       modpost            modpost.o
=2Efile2alias.o.cmd  .modpost.cmd       Makefile           empty.o         =
  =20
mk_elfconfig       modpost.c          sumversion.c

so i don know why it can=B4t be found.

> > Is there a different way to get it started with experimental=3D1? Can i
> > load the modules that are already in the kernel with a different
> > parameter while booting?
>
> ?  If something's built in to the kernel, you can sometimes change its
> behavior with parameters passed on the kernel command line.  Fiddling
> with that won't help the problem that "emerge ibm-acpi" reported.
>
> > > (The only reason I feel partially confident in telling
> > > you what to do here is that I had similar problems with installing
> > > Gentoo on my T42p 2 weeks ago....)
> >
> > I appreciate that, i am not a total beginner but still only following
> > tutorials :-) Can you give me some hints, what packages/scripts/etc
> > are useful for my TP?
>
> Useful stuff: tpb, radeontool, xbindkeys, and all the junk
> under /etc/acpi/ .  Note that you may get weird things happening with
> ACPI events; my T42p generates an event of type "button/lid" when the
> lid's closed, but an event of type "processor/processor" when the lid's
> opened.  Weird, but workaroundable.denkbrett daniel #=20
ls /usr/src/linux-2.6.15-gentoo-r7/scripts/mod/
=2Eelfconfig.h.cmd   .gitignore         .modpost.o.cmd     elfconfig.h     =
  =20
file2alias.c       mk_elfconfig.c     modpost.h          sumversion.o
=2Eempty.o.cmd       .mk_elfconfig.cmd  .sumversion.o.cmd  empty.c         =
  =20
file2alias.o       modpost            modpost.o
=2Efile2alias.o.cmd  .modpost.cmd       Makefile           empty.o         =
  =20
mk_elfconfig       modpost.c          sumversion.c

can you tell me how to get acpi to work correctly? And how can i manage to=
=20
make my laptop start in "ondemand" speedstep and usin full power when it is=
=20
needed. It stays at 800Mhz although i choose performance in klaptop as=20
profile and it is loaded too.