[ltp] Thinkpad R52

m h linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 23 Mar 2006 04:10:35 +0000

On 3/23/06, noc ops <aptgetd@gmail.com> wrote:

> m h wrote:
> > I'm using Gentoo on an R52.  Last month I wrote my experiences (a week
> > or so after I bought it) here
> > (http://panela.blog-city.com/gentoo_on_ibm_thinkpad_r52.htm).  I will
> > update that page soon since it is outdated.
> >
> > I've booted the Ubuntu 5.10 live cd and it appears that most things
> > work with that.  (My 1400x1050 screen was an exception, as it didn't
> > get the native resolution.  (if you have i810 video card with
> > 1400x1050 you'll need 915resolution)
> -------------------
> I'm getting 1024x768 res (budget reasons)...w/ one of the following choic=
es:

> - Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 900
> - 64MB ATI Mobility Radeon x300 graphics
>
> Juset wondering what has been people's experience w/ the above graphics
> chipset? What do you folks recommend?
>

> thoughts?

I specifically bought an intel chipset, because I'm sick of dealing
with binary drivers in the kernel.  Getting most everything working
for the intel was pretty easy with Gentoo.  Issues I've sorta dealt
with.
 * 1400x1050 resolution (solved with 915resolution).
 * External monitor (sorta works after trying combinations in
xorg.conf, though I'm not sure why/how)
 * GL/DRI - required latest modular xorg
 * Sleeping - Some have suggested that my lcd is draining the battery
during sleep (though it seems to me that the lcd backlight is
off....).  I'm not sure this is solved.
 * Supposedly battery drain is less with onboard chipset...

Dealing with binary drivers are a headache.  I've an nvidia card on my
desktop that is no longer supported.  Every kernel upgrade was a
gamble.  Not fun...

-matt