[ltp] Debian xorg and FireGL T2

Jens Mayer linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 25 Mar 2006 18:24:38 +0100

* On Wednesday 22 March 2006 12:30, Carl-Fredrik Enell wrote:

> But my T41p locked up immediately at X startup (at initialisation of
> DRM, it seems). The power switch was the only solution. So is this
> still the old 6.9 driver?  Should I wait for the soon-to-be-released
> xorg 7.0 packages or downgrade to 6.8.2? I use swsusp2 so would the
> fglrx module cause troubles?

For what it's worth, Xorg 7.0 runs fine with my T41p, using Gentoo GNU/Linux
and Kernel 2.6.14 with swsusp2. Do you use radeonfb for your console? I had
hardlocks with the open source Xorg drivers, no matter if I was using DRM or
not, as long as radeonfb was compiled into the kernel. Disabling framebuffer
support fixed things: everything runs solid now, including swsusp2.

I did not try enabling DRM or compiling vesafb-tng into the kernel yet.

The proprietary ATI drivers are a no-go for me, too: they even corrupt Xorg
when switching to my virtual terminals and back without using a framebuffered
console - not starting to talk about their difficulties while suspending to
RAM or disk. ;-)

Kind regards,
Jens

--
Q:  What's the difference between a car salesman and a computer salesman?
A:  The car salesman can probably drive!