[ltp] Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 900 vs 64MB ATI Mobility Radeon x300

noc ops linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 26 Mar 2006 17:08:18 -0800

L. Mark Stone wrote:
> Quoting noc ops <aptgetd@gmail.com>:
>

>>I'm trying to decide whether to pick Intel Graphics Media Accelerator
>>900 vs 64MB ATI Mobility Radeon x300 (integrated) for my thinkpad R52.
>

> With ATI you get ATI's binary-only drivers or the barebones ati kernel
> driver.  If you use ATI's drivers, you'll need to recompile them
> everytime you do a kernel update.  That means you'll need to install a
> build environment as well as the kernel sources. It also means you'll
> need to have some familiarity with boot options and/or init 3, for
> when you update the kernel and forget to recompile the binary driver
> before rebooting.
>
> With the Intel, you can use the 855resolution package (or the newer
> 915resolution package; 855resolution works fine for me) to get
> 1400x1050.  Not sure about Ubuntu, but SuSE (which is what I run on my
> 15" 1859-BAU R52) includes the 855resolution package and so set up was
> pretty easy--and I don't have to worry about kernel udates.  Plus, I
> get 3D, the external monitor works, and I can use the KDE utils (I
> don't know if Gnome has something comparable) to change the screen
> resolution on the fly.
What if I let the system (ubuntu 5.10 in my case) use the default
(intel) display driver? Or should I get the newer version of i915 [0]?

[0] http://dri.freedesktop.org/snapshots/

regards,
/virendra