[ltp] Re: thinkpadpm removed

Daniel Déchelotte linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 27 Mar 2006 19:08:20 +0200

Brad Langhorst a écrit :

> Daniel Déchelotte wrote:
> > [...] my T41 no longer
> > suspends when I close the lid ("apm -s" works). Could it be that
> > "It never provided much functionality anyway" includes the feature
> > of suspending to RAM on lid closure? :-/
>
> probably it's time to switch to acpi instead of apm...

The dreaded answer... :-)

Well, I do have 3.5 issues with ACPI:
 * acpid relies on some userspace scripts, which my distribution
   doesn't seem to provide or activate by default, although APM
   "just plain works" ®
 * it appears that my model (T41 2379-DJU) is affected by the
   "high power drain in ACPI sleep" problem
 * suspending doesn't _sound_ clean ("shaky" beep). That's the
   half issue. :)
 * resuming from ACPI sleep doesn't ask for power-on password.

The only advantage I see in ACPI over APM is the ability to control key
combos that involve the Fn key. Is there anything else? If not, why
work to make "trendy" ACPI work when good ol' APM just works?

--
Daniel Déchelotte
                  http://yo.dan.free.fr/