[ltp] sort of OT: keyboard problem

Meidinger Chris linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 27 Mar 2006 19:16:48 +0200

------_=_NextPart_001_01C651C2.CA8BBF98

Hi Vera,

the system is not all that complex - you should do fine.=20

I tend to hit my enter key pretty hard so I actually broke one of the =
metal bars off but the key has been working fine in the year since then.

Getting your key back on:

First, you need to fit the bars to the bottom of then enter key, the key =
will hold the bars. (I think it holds both, as I said one of mine is =
broken off and gone.)

Then, while holding the enter key you fit the little hooks on the end of =
the bar into the slots in the keyboard. You'll want to kind of slide =
them in until both latch.=20

Lastly, press the enter key down until everything locks. Should be nice =
and springy again.

And you're done!

Cheers,

Chris

-----Original Message-----
From: linux-thinkpad-admin@linux-thinkpad.org on behalf of Vera Kreuter
Sent: Mon 27-Mar-06 18:58
To: linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Subject: [ltp] sort of OT: keyboard problem
=20
Hello,

I know this doesn't really have anything to do with Linux (though I run
ubuntu on my T41p)... but I've searched the Web and found no solution,
so I thought maybe one of you could help me with this:

I spilled some coffee on my notebook, just a few drops on the far right
side. I turned it off and took off the enter-key (as that was where some
liquid got in) (it didn't come off easily, but I didn't think of how I
would reattach it as I was panicking a little...). I cleaned and dried
it and wanted to reattach the key... but I can't figure out how. It's
not like the other keys that you just put in their place and press a
little and it's attached - it's got some sort of mechanism with two
metal "bars" and two plastic things that (I guess) are there to make the
key snap back when it's pressed... I just can't figure out how it works.
It doesn't look like I broke anything, though.

Now, I was told that it's safe to use the notebook without the key just
until I find out how to reattach it, but I searched the ibm/ lenovo site
and the web via google and found no information (just an instruction on
how to remove the whole keyboard).

So, has anyone ever had that problem and solved it? Or has any idea?

Sorry for the off-topic posting... and thanks for any suggestions.

Vera

--=20

------_=_NextPart_001_01C651C2.CA8BBF98

<HTML>
<HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
6.5.7226.0">
<TITLE>RE: [ltp] sort of OT: keyboard problem</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
<!-- Converted from text/plain format -->
<BR>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Hi Vera,<BR>
<BR>
the system is not all that complex - you should do fine.<BR>
<BR>
I tend to hit my enter key pretty hard so I actually broke one of the =
metal bars off but the key has been working fine in the year since =
then.<BR>
<BR>
Getting your key back on:<BR>
<BR>
First, you need to fit the bars to the bottom of then enter key, the key =
will hold the bars. (I think it holds both, as I said one of mine is =
broken off and gone.)<BR>
<BR>
Then, while holding the enter key you fit the little hooks on the end of =
the bar into the slots in the keyboard. You'll want to kind of slide =
them in until both latch.<BR>
<BR>
Lastly, press the enter key down until everything locks. Should be nice =
and springy again.<BR>
<BR>
And you're done!<BR>
<BR>
Cheers,<BR>
<BR>
Chris<BR>
<BR>
-----Original Message-----<BR>
I know this doesn't really have anything to do with Linux (though I =
run<BR>
ubuntu on my T41p)... but I've searched the Web and found no =
solution,<BR>
so I thought maybe one of you could help me with this:<BR>
<BR>
I spilled some coffee on my notebook, just a few drops on the far =
right<BR>
side. I turned it off and took off the enter-key (as that was where =
some<BR>
liquid got in) (it didn't come off easily, but I didn't think of how =
I<BR>
would reattach it as I was panicking a little...). I cleaned and =
dried<BR>
it and wanted to reattach the key... but I can't figure out how. =
It's<BR>
not like the other keys that you just put in their place and press a<BR>
little and it's attached - it's got some sort of mechanism with two<BR>
metal &quot;bars&quot; and two plastic things that (I guess) are there =
to make the<BR>
key snap back when it's pressed... I just can't figure out how it =
works.<BR>
It doesn't look like I broke anything, though.<BR>
<BR>
Now, I was told that it's safe to use the notebook without the key =
just<BR>
until I find out how to reattach it, but I searched the ibm/ lenovo =
site<BR>
and the web via google and found no information (just an instruction =
on<BR>
how to remove the whole keyboard).<BR>
<BR>
So, has anyone ever had that problem and solved it? Or has any idea?<BR>
<BR>
Sorry for the off-topic posting... and thanks for any suggestions.<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
Vera<BR>
<BR>
--<BR>
The linux-thinkpad mailing list home page is at:<BR>
<A =
HREF=3D"http://mailman.linux-thinkpad.org/mailman/listinfo/linux-thinkpad=